Latest Version: 2.6.2 ‒ February 18, 2014
1. Select Your Operating System
Make sure your openSUSE installation is fully up to date before installing the latest Banshee!
For other SUSE distributions:
Banshee 2.6.1 is included in Ubuntu 13.04 and 13.10.
Ubuntu has a policy of not updating the version of a shipped application, so the version available in the default repository might be old. Note that Canonical modifies our code to take a 75% cut of our Amazon affiliate revenue. If you use Banshee from the community PPA below, 100% of the affiliate revenue will go to GNOME.To add the community-run Banshee Team PPA:
- In a terminal, run
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:banshee-team/ppa
- Then install or update Banshee
- Banshee is the default media player on Foresight Linux.
- Install or update
bansheefrom PackageKit, or in a terminal type,
sudo conary update banshee
- Install via yum:
yum install banshee
- View Fedora's Banshee package page
- Banshee is included in Debian and can be installed with either
- Debian Stable / Jessie contains Banshee 2.6.2
- Debian Oldstable / Wheezy contains Banshee 2.4.1
- Debian Testing / Stretch contains Banshee 2.6.2
apt-get install bansheeor
aptitude install banshee
You can also use Synaptic to install it without using the console.
- Unfortunately, Banshee is no longer included in the latest stable release 2014.1.
- Please give us a hint if you're building packages for OpenMandriva.
- Slackware64-current: Install a package manager (slapt-get has been tested)
- Enter the repository into the configuration file of the package manager. For slapt-get, this is:
- Install all listed packages:
Cython ORBit2 avahi banshee banshee-community-extensions boo cracklib dbus-sharp dbus-sharp-glib gdata-sharp gio-sharp gkeyfile-sharp gnome-disk-utility gstreamer1 gst-plugins-base1 gst-plugins-good1 gst-plugins-bad1 gst-plugins-ugly1 gst-libav1 gtk-sharp gtk-sharp-beans gudev-sharp lame libgdiplus libgpod-sharp libmodplug libpwquality libunique libwebp mono mono-addins mono-zeroconf newtonsoft-json soundtouch taglib-sharp taoframework webkitgtk
bansheepackage provides the stable 2.6.x series with gstreamer 1.x backports. Please don't file gstreamer-related bugs for banshee when using this package.
- Official support thread on linuxquestions.org
- To install Banshee 2.6.x, become root and run:
pacman -S banshee
- To install Banshee 2.9.x, become root and run:
pacman -S banshee-git
Mac OS X
This release is a beta-quality technology preview with only partial device support (only mass storage devices), no CD support, or video support. We encourage you to test and report issues. Banshee for OS X is not yet as complete or as stable as our Linux releases.
Banshee for OS X runs on Intel 10.7 (Lion) and 10.8 (Mountain Lion). OS X 10.6 and older and the PowerPC architecture are not supported.
- Install Banshee 2.6.1
This release is a alpha-quality technology preview with many known bugs and deficiencies, including some obvious, glaring ones. With that in mind, please test it and file any new bugs you find. If you are a developer, you can help us improve the Windows build.
Banshee for Windows should run on Windows XP or newer.
- Install Banshee 2.4.0
- The latest stable release of Banshee is version 2.6.2 released on February 18, 2014.
- Download Source Tarball
- See older releases
See getting the development version for more information.